Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Second Life


Second Life is a vast virtual reality RPG with millions of accounts created. About half a million of those accounts are regularly active. Whats pulling them in? 

My first Second Life experience didn't hold my attention for too long. I made an account with the mindset of not making a virtual interpretation of myself, but something that would be somewhat comical. A wild looking, knuckle dragging vampire beast named Mancubb. The first thing I did was figure out that walking is boring - especially when there is a flying option. 


I flew around and over the tutorial island to see if there was anything going on - it seemed pretty bland. So, I walked through the portal near the highest point of the island and was transported to another island! This island had many more avatars on them - however, I didn't feel like starting a conversation with anyone. So I flew away and found myself a dance floor. I was fascinated by all of the different animations that you could choose from. It was funny to watch a wild looking beast breakdance.


However, the interest soon died and I flew around some more and found a hot air balloon to sit in. This is where my experience took a subtle stop, since I didn't know how to stand up!


Perhaps there is a better way to navigate the camera, but I was a little bummed when I couldn't use the buttons on my mouse to move the camera around.
I wonder if there is any action going on in Second Life - if not it seems like a very surreal and quiet place. As of now, I haven't become too hooked on the virtual world - real life seems much more fun.

2 comments:

  1. I am assuming that Mancubb is closely related to the influential movie in your life, Jungle Book. It is interesting that you choose to pursue things you may not do in your real life. Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Mancubb is directly related to the Junglebook. As I was looking at all of the possible avatars to choose from, I saw the vampire avatars and thought that the name was fitting for that appearance. However, If I had picked a human avatar - the name would have been different.

    Its interesting you noticed I chose to do things that I may not do in real life - flying without any kind of machine would be wonderful if it was possible. Also, I love to dance! Though, I have never break danced before. Let alone seen a huge vampire beast break dance!

    I've always wanted to go for a ride in a hot air balloon. Even more so, Ive always wanted to be a part of the early morning ritual hot balloonists do when they are setting off to float around for a few hours.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8YaMK4-MYg

    I am sure second life is aware of these kinds of behaviors and purposely implements activities people may not do or see in real life in the hopes to hook them in as an active player. Then again, that is a big part of what makes role playing role playing.

    ReplyDelete